When people find out I’m vegan, they usually respond in one of two ways:
“I could never give up cheese.”
“I love my bacon.”
Now, I try not to let my eye twitch too much when I hear these excuses because hey,…I used to be the same way. But it’s 2015. The vegan food industry has come a long way. Not only do you not have to give up cheese, but you don’t have to give up bacon, either. Heck, just recently it was discovered that cooking a certain strain of seaweed tastes just like bacon!
Check out all the plant-based ways you can enjoy that bacon taste and flavor and leave the little piggies alone.
- Phoney Baloney’s Coconut Bacon
- Upton’s Naturals Bacon Seitan
- Lightlife Tempeh Bacon (a personal favorite!)
- Louisville Vegan Jerky Co. – Unreal Vegan Bacon Bits
- Sweet Earth Hickory & Sage Smoked Seitan Bacon
- Tofurky Smoky Maple Bacon Marinated Tempeh
- Magic Vegan Bacon Grease
- Frontier Vegetarian Bac ‘uns Bits
- Yves Veggie Cuisine Canadian Bacon
- Coconut Bacon by Simple Veganista
- Eggplant Bacon by Whole Foods
- Carrot Bacon from Meet The Shannons
- DIY Tempeh Bacon from Vegetarian Times
- Beet Bacon from One Green Planet
- Homemade Vegan Bacon by No Meat Athlete (Surprisingly, using beans and grains!)
- Shitake Bacon by Olives for Dinner
And because I’m such a chocoholic, allow me to direct your attention to a fabulous Vegan Salted Dark Chocolate Maple Bacon Bark recipe from Keepin’ It Kind. (Oh my goodness, just look at that photo!)
And lastly, here’s a handy tutorial on how to make almost anything into vegan bacon!
I think this meme from Vegan Street pretty much sums up my point.
What are your favorite vegan bacon products or recipes?