My recipe for today’s Vegan Month of Food 2014 celebration is supposed to be a “muffin” as per the original recipe. However, feel free to tear into these babies for dessert, too. I know for a fact they are delicious because not only did I love them, but the hubby took the leftovers to the teacher’s lounge where they got TORE UP! Thus, they passed the omnivore test 😉
I made quite a few changes from the original recipe in order to veganize these
cupcakes muffins. First, I swapped out the all-purpose flour for whole wheat pastry flour. Second, I got rid of that oppressive animal-based butter for glorious Earth Balance. Thirdly, instead of mashing my bananas, I processed them in my food processor a heck of a lot until they were pretty soup-y. Because the liquified bananas aided as both binding and adding moisture to the flour (thus resulting in batter), I completely omitted that egg.
Eggs=mean, mean, mean.
Finally, I adjusted the original serving size from 18 (very small) muffins to 16 satisfying muffins. And hey, it’s all good — the Points Plus values stayed the same! Yippee!
Also! There is a recipe note from the original recipe, which is a perfect idea now that we’re enjoying the Fall season. It is as follows: If the mouth-puckering lemon icing isn’t enough flavor for you, try adding 1/2 teaspoon each of cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger to the flour mixture.
Whichever flavor profile you choose, please make these, and enjoy. Share them with friends and family, over brunch, at the end of the day…whenever! You, and the people you share them with, won’t be sorry.
Or…you can just hoard them to yourself, teehee 😉
- 1/2 cup(s) sugar
- 5 Tbsp Earth Balance butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cup(s) all-purpose flour (I used whole wheat pastry)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 West Soy Plain Unsweetened soy milk
- 4 large bananas, ripe, mashed (I put mine in a food processor and ground them until they were very liquid-y)
- 1 cup(s) powdered sugar
- 1 TB Earth Balance butter, softened
- 1 TB fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest (or more, to taste)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line 16 muffin holes with paper liners.
- Place sugar and butter in a large bowl; cream with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add vanilla; beat until thoroughly mixed.
- In another large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and baking soda.
- Add half of flour mixture to butter mixture; beat well with mixer.
- Add soy milk and remaining flour mixture; beat until batter is combined and then fold in mashed bananas.
- Spoon batter into muffin liners about 3/4 full. Bake until muffins start to brown and a tester inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean, about 25 to 30 minutes. Allow muffins to cool in pan for about 2 minutes; remove to a wire rack and cool completely before icing.
- Meanwhile, combine icing ingredients in a medium bowl; beat with an electric mixer until creamy, about 1 to 2 minutes. Ice cooled muffins; cover and refrigerate any uneaten muffins.
Yields 1 muffin per serving.