I promised earlier in the week I would have a dessert recipe for you and now the wait is over. If you’re looking for a way to satisfy your sweet tooth in a healthier way, this is the recipe for you. Even though the original recipe refers to this as a cupcake, I am referring to it as a muffin. I think “cupcake” implies frosting. Personally, I always look forward to the frosting part of a cupcake. 🙂 But just because I am calling this a “muffin”, it doesn’t mean it wouldn’t serve as a satisfactory dessert. You can even ask my hubby, the official taste-tester, heehee.
I veganized this recipe by swapping out the egg, reduced fat sour cream, milk, and chocolate chips for Ener-g egg replacer, Follow Your Heart vegan sour cream, Westsoy Plain non-fat soymilk, and Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips. I also had some vegan butterscotch mini chips (yes, they do exist!) I had picked up from Pangea Vegan Store located here in Maryland. With the assortment of “fall” spices called for in this recipe, I thought now would be as good a time as any to try them out. Best of all, the Points Plus values did not change with the swaps I made. I love it when that happens. 🙂
I know it’s September and we still have some weeks before it is officially Fall, but when the weather cools, and you fancy a dessert that evokes the essence of Autumn, I think these will hit the spot.
- 1 1/3 cup(s) whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup(s) all-purpose flour (I bet you could swap both flours for buckwheat and gluten free AP flours if you wish to make this recipe gluten free.)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 2/3 cup(s) sugar
- egg substitute equivalent to one egg
- 1/2 cup vegan sour cream
- 1/2 cup(s) unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup(s) fat free soy milk, divided
- 1/2 cup(s) mini chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat oven to 325ºF. Prepare a 12-whole cupcake tin with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, combine both flours, baking powder, baking soda, allspice, cloves, ginger, nutmeg and salt; mix well to combine.
- With an electric mixer, in a large bowl, beat sugar and egg substitute until fluffy. Add vegan sour cream and applesauce; beat again. Add about 1/3 of flour mixture and 1/4 cup of soy milk; mix to combine. Continue alternating flour mixture and soy milk until all ingredients are combined; fold in all but 1 tablespoon of chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared tin, about 2/3 to 3/4 full each; sprinkle a few chips over each cupcake.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of a cupcake comes out clean, about 27 to 32 minutes. Cool in pan for 5 minutes and then move to a wire rack to cool more. Yields 1 cupcake per serving.
I didn’t trust myself with a dozen muffins (well, really more like 10 after my hubby tried one of each flavor) in the house, so I made sure to send them off to school with him the next day to share with his fellow teachers. And guess what those smarty-pants omnivores didn’t know? They had no idea they were healthy and vegan. And they loved them! I hope you love them, too! 🙂